Sunday, July 27, 2008

you ain't going nowhere



"Tumultuous!"

That was Vanessa's word to sum up 2007. 2008 has hardly begun, even though it's more than halfway through (for me, the real year starts with the commencement of the academic year), but I'm trying to find a word for it already. Dense, maybe.

Among today's adventures were an unnecessary-but-fun car trip to Red Rocket (a twenty-minute walk away, but the lure of Jen's car is irresistible approx. once/month), morning cartoons and sugary cereal with Andrew, and...an extremely daunting outing with my roommates to find a swimsuit.

I haven't owned a swimsuit since I was twelve, which is almost eight years ago. I borrowed a hideous number from a friend for canoe-camping in Outdoor School when I was fifteen, which was the last time I ever wore such a garment.

The trip was a difficult one: we trudged through racks upon racks of scary floral one-pieces, stacks of impossibly tiny patterned bikinis, and finally: Jen emerged holding up something simple, in two modest pieces, with a small rip that somehow warranted it being fairly inexpensive. Drawing a great breath, I took it into the changeroom. After much lip-biting, face-covering, and nervous-opinion-asking, I was red and sweaty and shaking, but relatively triumphant.

I am so so glad July is coming to a close and school is around the bend. At the same time, September looms sinister with unconfirmed-employment, a new university that may have different expectations than the last, along with other strange, shadowy unforeseeable changes.

But there's August in between, and even that doesn't start until Friday.

Watching The Third Man this evening makes me crave transparency and truth above all else, which are alas quite often elusive things. This is something I can deal with rationally, however. My immediate concern: Obtaining a functioning alarm clock. This biorhythm shit ain't always reliable.

No comments: