Wednesday, July 23, 2008

patience, patience.

Last night, Jess and I went to see Annie Hall(!) for free(!!) outside in Yonge-Dundas Square. About four scenes in, it began to drizzle. Within the next ten minutes, it was full-on raining and some guys passed around big black garbage bags to those of us who decided to tough it out. As everyone struggled with their bags to discover the style in which they would receive maximum protection from the rain, lightning occasionally struck and Alvy and Annie continued on, oblivious to our amusing plight.

I forgot exactly how much I like Annie Hall. The first time I ever watched it was after a night of being utterly unable to sleep - I had things on my mind and consequently stayed up to watch Before Sunrise and Before Sunset (also excellent films). After watching these, I went for a walk around Saskatoon, ending up on the fire escape of a highschool drinking a cup of shitty 7-11 grade coffee and watching the sun rise. When the sun had come up, I shuffled home and watched Annie Hall, which proved to be my favourite of the movies I'd consumed over the past 24 hours. The quietness of seeing it alone, when no one else was around or even awake, somehow made it even more perfect.

Sometimes I really miss the feeling of knowing my city; of knowing the best spots and having memories attached to so many places - of having an effortless map of the city in my head and feet. Tomorrow, I will have been here for three months. I'm beginning to piece the fragments of Toronto I know together and build an internal map...it will just take time.

No comments: