Wednesday, May 14, 2008

bonefish

Sweet merciful zeus.

Today's dramatic episode: I spilled coffee on my laptop keyboard. At first, it appeared that the only casualties were the navigation arrows in the bottom right corner, but it soon became apparent that none of the keys were working. Now, for someone who does nothing all day, use of a keyboard is pretty fucking essential. I *am* reading three books right now, and I did spend this morning drawing, but I have an intense attachment to my computer. It's where I do about 80% of my writing, plus I fritter and waste away like 10000% of my life blogging and instant messaging my roommates who are approximately ten feet away from me on it, too. So: problem.

I called some computer repair dudes, who clucked their tongues softly and said,

"Well, there's not a lot we can do."
"What do you mean?!"
"Well, we can come over for consulting...if only the keyboard was hit, we can order a new one and install it...for the consulting, hardware, and labour, it'd be about $300. Or we could just set you up with a USB keyboard and it'd be more like $130."

Anything with three digits preceded by a dollar sign turns the stomach of a jobless weirdo.

"Uh...I need to consult my, er, financial advisers."
"Do you mean your parents?"

I called my father, who proceeded to lecture me on how coffee + work areas = always a disaster, which was well-deserved. As I began my feeble defense, Felizia, my roommate, came into the kitchen carrying a still-in-the-box USB keyboard and slammed it on the table triumphantly.

"Dad? Can I call you back?"

It turns out only the keyboard was boned by the Coffee Nightmare of '08, and Felizia is graciously allowing me to use this USB-wonder until I'm totally employed and replace this piece-of-junk-of-an-ancient-Toshiba-laptop.

If I've learned anything from this incident, it's that being unemployed would suck more without proper computer access. Oh yeah, and don't drink coffee near the keyboard. But in all honestly, I probably won't abide by that rule. Will be super careful about that one.

Wow! My life sure is one drama of a rollercoaster.

2 comments:

Alison said...

Wait. So you didn't get a totally new computer?

cheepcheep said...

I did...just wait until next blogpost.