Thursday, July 16, 2009

let me show you girl that i know wrong from right

So, I went to a doctor for my once-a-year-complete physical (which I probably haven't had done in years...I think my last time seeing a family doctor was when I was 17. YIKES). She was the most doctorly doctor ever - extremely calm, cool, and collected, her reaction to any distress I was in was not to reassure me but to offer suggestions, etc. I think the stereotype of doctors as problem solvers and nurses as caregivers is not too far from the mark, in all reality. While sometimes I think I'd prefer to just see a nurse practitioner for all my medical needs, there is occasionally just something about someone who gets to the facts with or without your total emotional ease.

Anyway, it turns out that EVERYONE WAS RIGHT: taking a daily B complex is actually necessary. So I've started taking a B complex! I've never taken supplements in my nine years of being veg (except for a brief period last summer where I chomped down on Flintstones multivitamins like they were candy)...it turns out that B deficiency can actually make you - get this - MANIC. And depressed, irritable, etc. I'm looking forward to being a more pleasant person (well...potentially).

My mom is visiting for the summer and so it's meant long, awesome hangouts where we make pizza or strawberry jam, knit up a storm, traipse around the better coffee shops of Toronto and where she meets me for lunch when I'm at work. It's been pretty fantastic. I'm looking forward to next month when I'll get to see Cat and we'll do many similarly wonderful activities.

Today I'm wearing a totally ridiculous dress that I'm not entirely sure I can pull off at work, but we'll see. I hear bright blue gingham is due for a comeback.

xoxo
clara bee

2 comments:

catherine anne said...

similarly wonderful activities indeed! is there a specific B vitamin that's hardest to get, or just all B?
Blue gingham is SO Wizard of Oz!

cheepcheep said...

Hey Cat,

I think B12 is the hardest to get. But if you take a B-complex it covers all the other Bs too :)

Wizard of Oz indeed. That's why I bought it...and I wore it with red shoes the day of this post.