Friday, May 8, 2009

I'm wrapped up in a blanket on the couch before getting dressed for work as I write this, sipping a vegan breakfast smoothie that is kinda changing my life.

From Nicole Georges' Invincible Summer, Vol. I:

1 banana
1 cup soy milk
1 handful coconut shreds
1 heaping tablespoon almond butter
honey, to taste (I left it out, personally)
Blend it all up!

Seriously. Amazing.

School's been a bit of a bummer as of late, but I think I can handle it. Two more papers and three exams in the next three weeks, which is sort of horrifying, but totally doable. My self-confidence was bolstered by an academic adviser I ran into at a book launch (which I attended with the ever-lovely Jess) who remarked that my grades were very good. I mean...I guess so?

What else. Two of my zines got reviewed in Broken Pencil, which was unexpected and awesome. Unfortunately, the site doesn't have an online version of the print version, so you can't read it unless you have a copy. Anyway, this is really the shot in the arm I needed to start working on stuff again. This week, I sat at a little table in our backyard with my typewriter working on a new zine while Jess sat on a blanket in the (soon-to-be-mowed) grass, catching up on Canadian culture with a pile of arts magazines. It was a really fantastic feeling...one I hope to have again, as soon as finals are ooover.

Work has offered me some extra hours, which is good and bad - good because I need the cash, bad because it'll interfere a mite with studying this week. I think it'll end up being fine, but nonetheless I feel a shade nervous. I'll be so glad when school is all wrapped up and done with.

Anyway. I'd best be off, but I promise to try with more regular updates.

xoxo
cbl

1 comment:

Alison said...

Congratulations on the review! And you should still show me your zines when I show up in Toronto... and everything else. Ever. :)