Friday, June 20, 2008

you've got this thing with walking

Today on my lunch break, I bought my usual insanely cheap and delicious coffee from Cuppa Joe and then headed to Wanda's Pie in the Sky for a gorilla biscuit (the tastiest vegan treat on the block for under $2). As I sat there doodling in my notebook and listening to one of my new favourite songs, a woman and her two children came in and hung around waiting for a birthday cake to be ready. One of the kids was a baby in a stroller wearing a hat. The stroller was facing me, as was the baby, so I smiled and the baby returned it with the best smile I have ever seen in my two decades of living. I can't explain it entirely - it was slow to come across her face, as though she were blushing, but at the same time it was such a beam that I thought she must be consciously acknowledging that she was so very worth smiling at and that she thought I was, too.

I continued doodling and writing, but kept on feeling the compulsion to look back at the baby. Every time I did, she met my eyes and we smiled at each other. Finally, I caught her mother's eye and said, "You have a wonderful baby," to which she responded "Oh yes, she gets a lot of attention," laughing a little.

"She's very charismatic," I volunteered, unable to keep from beaming as I looked down into the baby's wonderful face.

I've only been truly intrigued by babies at one point in my life, which was during Mrs. Johnston's grade twelve biology class genetics unit, and that was 99% based in awe that humans are capable of manufacturing miniature versions of themselves. Other than that, I've never wanted children, and I still don't. My exchange with this baby was not based in maternal need or instinct. It was simply an exchange with another human being grateful for life and it made me remember to be thankful for the rest of the day.

Thank-you, charismatic baby, for the little reminder. I hope you grow up strong and excited about everything you can do and be.

3 comments:

Alison said...

Oh my god. You have to write a comic called "Adventures of the Charismatic Baby!" It would be so sickeningly sweet no one would be able to put it down!

catherine anne said...

what's this new favourite song?

Jessica said...

i love it when you have momentary baby lapses.

and finding out you like cats now is HUGE NEWS to me. this is awesomeee.