Sunday, February 15, 2009

grand pianos crash together










For one reason or another, I just cannot get started on an essay today. It's totally beautiful outside and the perfect weather for a bicycle ride. But...the essay isn't gonna write itself, and it's on a book I like, so I should really just hop to it. After this...obviously.

I'm drinking instant coffee with cinnamon and brown sugar and it's pretty stellar, surprisingly. I'm insanely broke right now, so I cooked up a huge amount of beans in tomato sauce, which I will be eating with rice for the next...long time.

Lately I haven't been into straightening my hair or shaving my armpits. Two new habits I hope I can keep up. But I've been feeling as though I'm in highschool again...Monster Days. I know I'm not a monster but a human being, but it can be hard to believe sometimes. York girls all seem to have inexplicably long, shiny, perfectly styled hair and flawless clothes. I mean, it's not a style I aspire to, but none of these women look remotely awkward...their pants aren't baggy at the knees, or too long...they don't look uncomfortable in what they're wearing. Their (incredible expensive) shoes don't have holes or salt stains (how is that possible?!) and they all carry these huge-yet-unridiculous bags.

Meanwhile I'm wearing over-washed jeans that are way too baggy at the ankles and knees and shirts I've had since highschool with my frizzy hair tucked into a hat. But I speak a lot in class, so maybe they think I'm really confident and totally down with looking the way I do. Someday I will be!

Okay, for real, I'm going to start this essay so I can go for a bike ride tonight.

SIDENOTE: If you were wondering, Hallmark Day came and went with a trip to No Frills, a homemade meal, and an episode of Carl Sagan's Cosmos. So pretty much a typical night for my Close Personal Associate and me.

3 comments:

Kash said...

SO WEIRD

While I was talking to you, I was ALSO drinking coffee with brown sugar and cinnamon. Not instant coffee, but STILL.

WE'RE MADE FOR EACH OTHER

catherine anne said...

I know what you mean about the Monster Days, except I usually just think "Other-Species" days...because I feel like I have absolutely nothing in common with all those be-pursed and perfectly coiffed girls. It's so, so strange. ehhhh.

cheepcheep said...

I'm not glad that you feel that way, but I'm glad I'm not alone. You put it perfectly: You just feel OUTSIDE of the human species...or at least, the members of the human species surrounding you.