Friday, September 19, 2008

how do you change a tire? do you EVEN know HOW?

I was in need of counsel; real, no-bullshit counsel. So I sought the advice of the coldest of the cold, asked for assistance from the iciest being I know.

"Lake Ontario," I said, alone on the beach save for a couple far down on the other side making out in the lifeguard stand. "I feel lonely and sad and scared all the time, and I don't feel like anyone or anything can help me."

The lake was a loud listener, gushing freezing blasts of waves that receded with harsh hisses, but a listener nonetheless.

"I mean, I don't know. I kinda feel like a big fake moron for telling you this," I continued.

Roar, recede. Roar, recede.

"Do you want me to come over there and prove I'm not a wimp?"

Roar.

"Because I will."

Recede.

I rolled up my pant legs and ran into the frigid waters. "Look, Lake Ontario, I'm not afraid to get my feet wet. Ha, ha."

I watched some aeroplanes go by and made some wishes. Only vague things, because wishing for specifics doesn't work.

I looked over my shoulder at the CN Tower in its ugly lit-up glory and wished on it, too.

Then I wished on the dim light of the lifeguard stand.

And then, I said goodbye to my attentive friend and walked home.

1 comment:

Nisrine said...

I like it! you are a good writer, i got goosbumps!